Saturday, April 22, 2006

Is anarchy utopian ?

In my previous entry, I talked about arbitration in a market anarchy. This is, I think, the second most popular argument against anarchy. The most popular argument is that anarchy is utopian, either in nature or as a future possibility.

Like Stefan Molyneux, I think this objection is absurd is a basic way. The fact is that the vast majority of interactions in our lives are anarchic - they do not involve or rely on government force. Anarchy is already about 95% of our lives. This of course raises a question - if government is not necessary, and in fact harmful, to 95% of our lives, how could it possibly help the last 5% ?

The other problem is that, while government intervention in our lives is relatively unnoticeable, the areas of our lives controlled by government are of extreme importance for social life. So government invervention is dispersed and mostly in the background, but extremely damageable as a whole.

Another fact is that anarchic societies have existed in history, and still exist, and have been shown to be more stable and progressive than governments. Of course, no one ever learns that in history class. What interest does the government has to teach you that it's not necessary ?

And now here's the clincher : the most successful discipline in the history of mankind is anarchic ! Yes, I'm talking about science and the scientific method. Science is not based on force. It is based on curiosity and an honest search for the truth, reined in by testing and peer review, driven by the ambition to overturn old paradigms, and made legitimate by how well it works. It is not based on the force of the gun, on manufactured legitimacy, or on parasitical rhetoric (although the "science for science's sake" contingent can sometimes come close to that).

True, government has always been entangled in science, and especially today government twists science for its own ends, like it does for anything else in a society. Both right and left wings in politics use activist science to legitimize their worldviews, and interest groups that mascarade as science manipulate the media and government power all the time.

But even though it profits from organized theft, science is still by and large anarchic in nature. Its outputs are founded on networks of testing and cooperation instead of force.

Fundamentally, what does utopian mean? It is used to designate a belief system that one desires to impose on society, when such system goes against human nature. Statism is fundamentally utopian. It denies the basic moral fact that the individuals in a society all have different value systems, and tries to impose a singular value system (as expressed in the law and state intervention) on an entire society, leading inevitably to social warfare. Market Anarchy is nothing more than the recognition that all individuals should be free to live the way they want, and give them the possibility of expressing their nature. Market Anarchy is therefore the polar opposite of utopian.

As we've seen, the belief that anarchy is utopian is almost trivial to disprove. So where does it come from and why does it persist ?

The main source, I think, is the constant propaganda and brainwashing we get from day 1 about the necessity of government, more specifically the confusion between "law" (a single body of rules enforced by government) and "order" (absence of coercion and presence of structure). Even though the two were separate for most of history, we have grown so accustomed to state slavery that we can't see the difference anymore.

It takes mere seconds for anyone to understand a principle as clear as "government is force", but the emotional investment most people have in the system is so great that, like a cultist confronted with internal contradictions, they have no choice but to rationalize it.

12 comments:

Sage said...

When I say I support anarchy, people laugh because I work for the government (as a teacher). But even as a public servant, I can close my classroom door and do whatever I please. I often waver far from the mandated curriculum.

We need government to keep tabs on people like me in order to assure the public that education is standardized. But governmental standards are far too low and tedius for my liking. Curriculum really does create automatons prepared for boring jobs in which a corner office is secured by an inability or refusal to think.

Just some thoughts.

Genius said...

>Anarchy is already about 95% of our lives. This of course raises a question - if government is not necessary, and in fact harmful, to 95% of our lives, how could it possibly help the last 5% ?

I thin you might defeat your own case here. Almost nothing is good 100% pure 100% of the time of the time. This includes everything from air to water. So when I want to drink I have water but when I want to breath I'll take air.

So noting that there are places where anarchy can exist and function well doesn't make us feel all that more comfortable with it any more than noting that governments are fairly good at building militaries proves the opposite.

unenlightened said...

Alright, I get it. anarchy rocks and anarchy rules. Why though, do I get the feeling that you're complaining about something? It almost seems like you want to make government illegal - or is it just a sin?

wow power leveling said...

welcome to the wow power leveling, cheap service site,WoW Gold buy cheap wow gold,wow gold,world of warcraft buy wow power leveling

Anonymous said...

latale online gold in the game which movement is much like an arcade game. We know, the latale gold can exchange the real money of the reality. The world you are enjoying in latale money can entertainment and get to know new friends. This economic structure lead buy latale online gold has one kinds of real value in the real world. You can use cheap latale gold to purchase various items of course, there are need to change.
The twelve sky Gold should be a timely evolution of the world. Please step up efforts to investigate all types of 12sky gold can be set up in the game. 12Sky Silver Coins to add more rudimentary fashion. The twelvesky Gold can help you combat equipment of the production. Use the 12 sky gold may change the door to door battle for offensive and defensive resident.

Anonymous said...

Do you know the 2moons dil, in the game you need the 2moons gold. it can help you increase your level. My friends always asked me how to
buy 2moons dil, and I do not know he spend how much money to buy the
2moon dil, when I see him in order to play the game and search which the place can buy the
cheap 2moons gold. I am happy with him.
Do you know the Asda Story gold,in the game you need the
Asda Story money. it can help you increase your level. My friends always asked me how to
buy Asda Story Gold, and I do not know he spend how much money to buy the
Asda Story gold, when I see him in order to play the game and search which the place can buy the
cheap Asda Story gold. I am happy with him.

yinghong said...

rappelz rupees of Rappelz Online Game has more functions and this Rappelz Game is a very good free game. This rappelz gold of score could go down A LOT if they choose to mess up the classes even more. I would have rated it much cheap rappelz rupees better when it was epic3. If yes, then the first step to buy rupees when you play Rappelz is for you. Play rappelz and feel the power and might of rappelz money. See you in game!
rohan crone has many ways for us to use. When you start the Rohan Online game, your character will be level 1. I remembered that when I started playing this Rohan game with some little cheap rohan money. My friends all told me that the best way to spend rohan online gold is a good way. But I could not like spending my own rohan online crone. If you do not like upgrading level step by step, you can cost rohan gold to help your character to reach level high.

said...

You know ,I have some Entropiauniverse ped, and my friend also has some
Entropia Universe Gold, do you kouw they have the same meaning,Both of them can be called
Entropia Universe Money,I just want to
Buy Entropia Universe Gold, because there are many
cheap Entropiauniverse ped.
You know ,I have some Atlantica online Gold, and my friend also has some
Atlantica Gold, do you kouw they have the same meaning,Both of them can be called
Atlantica online money,I just want to
buy Atlantica online Gold, because there are many
cheap Atlantica online Gold.

Anonymous said...

I think goonzu is my favorite game, I did not know how to play at first, someone told me that you must have goonzu gold. That he gave me some goonzu money, and then he said that I could buy goonzu gold, but I did not have so much money, and then I played it in all my spare time. From then on, I have got a lot of goonzu online gold, if I did not continue to play it, I can sell cheap goonzu gold to anyone who want.
Once I played GuildWars, I did not know how to get strong, someone told me that you must have gw gold. He gave me some GuildWars Gold, he said that I could buy Guild Wars Gold, but I did not have money, then I played it all my spare time. From then on, I got some GuildWars money, if I did not continue to play it, I can sell cheap gw gold to anyone who want.

Anonymous said...

As a new player , you may need some game guides or information to enhance yourself.
aoc gold is one of the hardest theme for every class at the beginning . You must have a good way to manage your conan gold.If yor are a lucky guy ,you can earn so many age of conan gold by yourself . But if you are a not , I just find a nice way to get cheap aoc gold. If you need , you can buy aoc money at our website . Go to the related page and check the detailed information . Once you have any question , you can connect our customer service at any time .

Making requiem gold is the old question : Honestly there is no fast way to make lots of requiem lant . Sadly enough a lot of the people that all of a sudden come to with millions of requiem money almost overnight probably duped . Although there are a lot of ways to make lots of cheap requiem lant here I will tell you all of the ways that I know and what I do to buyrequiem online gold.

dfous said...

Bon marche de Dofus Kamas.achat de dofus.le prix moins cher.nous vendons dofus,or de Wakfu. 24/7 appui-en-ligne et livraison rapide.Wakfu Kamas
china: chinaserving

Anonymous said...

czyszczenie sławków dąbrowa katowice chorzów. wyrzynarke meblową z karcher odkurzaczem, jaworzno tanio i śmiesznie cheap. czyszczenie dywanów tanio ale także online odbywa się szybko i dokładnie wow.
Promocje związane z czyszczenie wykładzin tapicerek jest na prawdę tanie pranie.
Czyszczenie odbywa się u klienta. czyszczenie pranie cennik zamówienie minimum 40zł.
Ale dywanów tapicerek samochodowych cennik sosnowiec czyszczenie karcher zamówienie maks 70zł.
rfs czyszczenie tapicerki poker free bonus dla świeżości cennik galeria z prac pranie zamówienie maks 70zł.
Osobno dywan ale najpierw tapicerka meblowa cennik galeria z prac pranie zamówienie maks 70zł.
Osobno dywan ale najpierw tapicerka meblowa cennik galeria z prac pranie zamówienie maks 70zł.
Zamawiam wszystko do czyszczenia jest krzesło cennik galeria z prac pranie zamówienie maks 70zł.
najpierw tapicerka za darmo meblowa.